I’ve getting repeated requests for rooting steps for Samsung Galaxy Gt-I7500, so i thought i would pen down my experience of Rooting this Android Device with Android 1.6 Firmware.
First of all what does Root Mean? Why benefits would it give me so that i should risk my phone for doing it?
Well in simple terms rooting is synonymous with the root user in Linux systems. It provides you full access to your device with administrative privileges.
It will then allow you to install Customs ROMS Like MustyMod, Galaxo, GAOSP Project, etc.
It will also allow you to install numerous apps which require Root Permissions to accelerate your device performance or something that otherwise wouldn’t have been possible.
What harm can Rooting do to my Samsung Galaxy Gt-I7500?
Well, it won’t Samsung Galaxy once it Rooting has been done correctly. Well, since it allows full access rights, so might have to be careful of what apps you install as they also have get the full access rights.
Warning : Before you proceed any further please note that Rooting your device might void your Warranty. It a risky process and if you do not follow the steps carefully, you might Brick your phone making it completely Dead and useless.
And finally, you yourself should take the responsibility of the actions you take and if anything goes wrong you would be solely responsible.
Okay, over with the warning thing, but not to discourage you it’s needed for just to remind you that it’s an extremely risky process, so read the tutorial and understand it carefully before actually trying it on your phone. In general, it doesn’t happen but still there are chances that you might brick your phone, so please be extra careful. 😀
– Samsung New PC Studio – This is just to setup Samsung galaxy drivers. And if you can’t set up the Drivers on your System, use the guide here.
– Android SDK – Needed to run the adb
Step-by-step Guide :
– Extract Android SDK zip file to your local directory( preferably at C:\ )
– Extract Samsung ADB Fast Boot Drivers zip file to your local directory, for installation of ADB drivers of your Samsung Galaxy.
– Extract Recovery Image zip file to your local directory.
– Next part is to install the Recovery Image on your Samsung Galaxy Gt-I7500. It requires flashing and please carefully follow the steps below.
– Plug in your Galaxy with USB and install required drivers for your Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500. ( If you have some problem installing Drivers, Please refer to the Installation of Drivers on Samsung Galaxy I700 here. )
– On your Galaxy I7500, go to Settings -> Applications & Development -> Activate USB Debug mode.
– It will then prompt you to install the ADB Fast Boot Drivers for Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500, manually select the location of Samsung ADB Fast Boot Drivers – Select androidusb.sys file from the ADB drivers folder extracted above in the 2nd step.
– It should install Samsung Galaxy Composite ADB Interface and Samsung ADB Fast Boot Drivers on your Computer. ( If it doesn’t then please don’t proceed further and ask me in comments. )
(It might doesn’t install Samsung ADB Fast Boot Drivers at once and then in that case it will prompt you for it again and follow the above step again.)
– Copy recovery.img file to your ‘tools’ folder of Android SDK files location. ( It was Extracted by you in the first step somewhere on your local hard drive of the computer. )
– Mount your internal SD card and Put ‘RECTOOLS.tar.gz‘ ( from RECOVERY_4.6.2.zip that you extracted in the 3rd step ) into the root drive of your SD Card. ( Don’t put it inside any folder. )
– Open a DOS command prompt on your PC. ( Press Windows Key + R and type cmd and press Enter. )
8. Go to tools/ directory of the SDK using command line. If you placed the Android SDK on the C:\ then the command is ” cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools ”
– Now disconnect your phone and switch it off, Remove the SIM Card.
– Place the Battery Back in the Phone, connect the USB Cable and start it in Fast Boot Mode ( Press Power Button + Call Button Simultaneously until it says ‘Ok’. )
– Install the recovery using DOS command prompt, type: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” and hit enter.
( If not done correctly then Please don’t proceed further and Try doing the above two steps again. And if you still can’t get it done, ask me in the comments. )
– After successful execution of Flashing your Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500 with Recovery Image, Shut down the phone again. Remove the battery for 5Secs and reinsert the Battery.
– Boot the Galaxy I7500 in Recovery mode. ( Press Volume down + Call + Power Simultaneously for 2-3secs )
– You should now see Android System Recovery Menu. ( You can take Nandroid backup if you want to restore it at any time )
Finally, Root Galaxy :
– Now type “ adb shell ” in you PC command prompt. It should enter into shell mode. If you get an error some thing like “Device Offline” or “Device not connected” then unplug USB cable and reconnect and type “adb shell”. It should work now. ( If not ask me in the comments. )
– Now type the following commands in your command prompt
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
If this doesn’t work or gives you an error, don’t worry nothing went wrong, just try the command below in cmd ( Command Prompt )
mount -o rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
If it still doesn’t work for you or gives some error in above, don’t worry and try the command given below in the cmd ( Command Prompt )
mount -o rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1
One of the above 3 commands should work in your case and if it doesn’t , then i guess you need to worry. Do ask me comments and i’ll try to figure out what went wrong. ( But please try and follow the steps carefully else it might brick your phone. )
– Now when the above command is executed successfully, type the following commands in your command prompt in the order given below. ( Press Enter after each command )
cat sh > su
chmod 6755 su
-Now Reboot your Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500.
– And Viola your phone is rooted! 😀 ( You can type “su” command in “adb shell” to check or you can run OverclockWidget or check any App that requires Root Permissions to work, like root explorer. )
Let me know if you find the tutorial difficult at any step, i’ll try to further simply things. And will update it with the Screenshots to make it simpler like anything.
But please read the whole steps carefully and understand it before you actually try it on your phone. And do ask me in comments if you are stuck at any point.
Share your Experiences with how do you like your Rooted Galaxy GT-I7500?
And if you are looking for Increasing Sound on Samsung Galaxy I7500, here is the Step by step Guide to Increasing Sound by Tweaking Audio Files on Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500. 😀
And if you are looking to spice up your Samsung Galaxy with some Fantastic Android Apps from the Android market, you can check out the Top 10 Must Have Free Android Apps here. ( although, it is for Xperia X10, but it’s the same for Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500 as well. ) It also has the QR codes inside with detailed description of each of it. 🙂