XDA guys have managed to load Android 2.1,Eclair Custom Rom & Android 2.2,Froyo on Rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. But it is just a workaround to get Custom Rom on Xperia X10, bootloader is not yet cracked. So, we won’t be able to do a clean install of any custom rom on Xperia X10. It’s more like running another rom on top of the original Xperia X10 firmware by Sony Ericsson. Well, it doesn’t matter for as of now, as we would at least be able to try Android 2.2, froyo on our Xperia X10.
The Custom Rom is not complete yet, and has few issues and bugs but still if you want to give it a try you can as it is installed on a dual boot. You can switch to your original Rom on a boot only. 🙂 I would describe here the steps to get Android 2.2, Froyo Custom Rom on your Xperia X10 and try to sort out the problems you face in doing so. Will also be reviewing the Custom Rom and the performance increase or the change log.
As of now these issues or bugs have been identified in Android 2.2, Froyo Custom Rom,
– no Audio playback (voice calls work)
– no native Video playback (RockPlayer works)
– camera – not implemented yet
– random reboots (identified – WIP)
– random lags (identified – WIP)
– slight radio issue – voice calls – sometimes (1 out of 25-30 for me) both you and the other person sound like a chipmunk (identified – WIP)
Warning : This tutorial requires rooting and flashing your phone with Custom Rom, it is advisable to read the steps carefully and understand them before you actually proceed to try out the tutorial. If not done correctly it might brick your phone and render it useless for you. This step might also take away the Warranty that came with your phone. You should understand that you would be responsible for any damages done to your phone.
So, please read the tutorial carefully and understand it before trying it out. If you don’t understand a step or feel you might get stuck at that point, ask me in comments section. The warning above is not to discourage you from following the tutorial but to make sure that you understand what you are doing and be extra careful while trying it out.
Install Dual Boot Android 2.2,Froyo Custom Rom on Xperia X10 Rooted-Step by Step Guide
You’ll Need :
– 1GB of free space on SD Card ( atleast ) : Delete Some stuff of it! 😉
– Rooted Xperia X10 with BusyBox Installed : Use this Easy Step by Step Guide to root your Xperia X10 with One Click Root Method
– Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich : Download it from Android Market.
– Android 2.2,Froyo Custom Rom : Download
[ Update ] : Download Links Updated above with Froyo Rom Downloads for Xperia X10.
Steps to Install Froyo,Android 2.2 on Xperia X10 with Dual Boot :
– BusyBox is a must for this process to work. Rooting your phone should install a latest stable release of busybox on your Xperia X10. If you still have Problems installing Busybox, Install Titanium BackUp from Android Market and Press problems? button at the bottom. It should install a stable Busybox Version for your Xperia X10. Let me know in the comments section if you find problems installing BusyBox on your Xperia X10.
– Download extract the files inside the downloaded Custom Rom Package and place the above mentioned Android 2.2,Froyo Custom Rom on the root folder of your SD Card. Do not place it inside any folder. Just Connect your Xperia X10 to your computer, mount your SD Card by swyping the notification bar and pressing the Mount SD Card option. And copy the Package to your SD Card. ( Remember, do not place this inside any folder )
– It will have two files, FreeX10.zip & install . You need to place both these files on Root folder of your SD Card.
– Open Android Terminal Emulator and type ” su ” and press enter. ( without quotes ). you’ll have to provide it with Root Permissions. It will now show # instead of $ in the window.
– Now type the following command, ( double check if you typed the correct command ) and then press enter
dd if=/sdcard/install of=/data/install && chmod 777 /data/install && /data/install
– It will now install the Froyo,Android 2.2 Custom Rom on your Xperia X10. Wait for few minutes until the installation is finished.
– Restart your phone and enjoy Android 2.2, Froyo on Xperia X10. 😀
– It will automatically boot in Android 2.2, Froyo everytime you start it. But if you want it to boot in Original Sony Ericsson’s Android 2.1 Generic Firmware, then press any button at the time of boot ( when the Sony Ericsson is first displayed on the phone. )
As i told earlier that the Bootloader isn’t cracked yet, so even after installing this custom Rom, you won’t get multi-touch on our Xperia X10. It’s based on the same kernel that we have presently. But you should give this a try as for the performance increase and other factors. Enjoy the Screenshot from Froyo Android 2.2 Custom Rom on Xperia X10. 🙂
This is an alpha release by XDA Developers and has bugs as i stated above. Those are just identified bugs and won’t assure that there won’t be any new ones. This is just for testing purpose. So i strongly advise you to take a backup of all your data before you try it out. And as you can notice the ROM isn’t available as of yet. But it will soon be available. Will keep you updated with it. Stay tuned. 🙂
Feel Free to let us know know your Opinion about the same in the comments section! 🙂 Stay tuned for further updates on Android 2.2, Froyo for Xperia X10. Do Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
And if you have just updated your Xperia X10i to Android 2.1, Eclair then you got to check out these valuable resources for your phone,
– Get 3D Gallery on your Rooted Xperia X10 with this Cool Trick
And, if you are Looking for Top 10 Best Android Apps for your Xperia X10 or another Android Phone, visit the link!
Also you shouldn’t miss the Top 20 Free Android Apps for your Xperia X10.
For Best Games for android Xperia X10, visit this Link! 🙂
Do Join us on Facebook to not miss an update from our side!
Gadgets | Technology Simplified on Facebook
or Join us on Twitter and Follow me
And alternatively you can Sign up for our Email Newsletters at the bottom of this page to get the Updates in your Mailbox!